Monday, May 18, 2015

Herman Melville: Moby-Dick

Moby-Dick; or, The WhaleMoby-Dick; or, The Whale by Herman Melville My rating: 3 of 5 stars I listened to this title as a Librevox audio book, lovingly and well read. It's exasperating. In here is a totally gripping account of the mad pursuit of a great whale in the 19th century, compelling, detailed, tense, very satisfying. Unfortunately it's wrapped in screeds of Shakespearean asides and philosophical meanderings that I found just plain dull. There's hardly a novelist's rule that Melville doesn't break, which is fine, except it just doesn't help. So joy and dismay crowd together. If this is the first 'modern novel' I hope it will also be my last. And yet, clear away the dross, and there's something absolutely special. View my Amazon reviews

No comments: