- the Iranian revolution,
- the Gulf (Iran-Iraq) War (about which we in the West were so cruelly complacent),
- how fugitives to the West are mostly welcomed by the alternative cultures, not the mainstream ones
- Freedom and its contradictions
I found it the sort of book you have to put down while you walk around and try to think about it. Things like:
- Why don't we understand Iranians as victims of totalitarianism, quite as much as people in Mao's China or Stalin's Russia? Surely they are.
- How much teenagers need surrogate parents and grandparents;
- How people can end up on the streets; and get off them again.